The Royal Wedding Cocktail
Yes, there's a cocktail to commemorate the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton. Of course there is; there's a royal wedding everything. It's a punch made with gin, that most British of liquors. The recipe, according to People (keep in mind this was created by "mixologist Dan Warner" who owns Beefeater gin):
Beefeater Royal Punch
• 2 parts Beefeater London Dry Gin
• 1 part Dubonnet (This is a nod to Queen Elizabeth, who "was known to enjoy gin and Dubonnet as an apertif," notes Warner)
• 1 part pomegranate juice ("It represents marriage.")
• 2 parts fresh lemonade (American style)
• Angostura bitters to taste
Serve in a large punch bowl (or a large, deep casserole dish) and garnish with wheels of lemon and lime, mint sprigs and pomegranate seeds.
Chill the punch with lots of regular ice cubes or make your own fruit ice cubes by freezing orange and lemon slices with water in a plastic container (ice cream tub or similar).
Sounds complex. Who has a punch bowl? Who makes their own fruit ice cubes? What is a Dubonnet? Here's my take on the royal cocktail. Just riffing off the gin theme here:
- A bunch of gin
- Some tonic
- A lime wedge, if you have it around
It's called a gin and tonic. I make them all the time. All things considered, they're pretty easy.
On the subject of royal beverages, it's never too early to start planning your royal wedding party. Don't let the fact that in the States it will be airing at 6 a.m. on a weekday (Friday, April 29th!!!!) stop you. The trick is to stay up all the night before drinking my version of the Royal Wedding Cocktail, and then you won't even have to wake up early for the ceremony. And you can still get to work on time.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Village Voice's biggest stories.
- Sanitation Sergeant Frank Musella Dies on the Job on Staten Island
Sat., Aug. 1, 2:00pm
Sat., Aug. 1, 7:00pm
Sun., Aug. 2, 3:00pm
Sun., Aug. 2, 3:00pm
- New York's Medical Marijuana Licenses Expected to Be Awarded by Friday
- The Ray of Ray's Candy Store Back in the Shop Despite Heart Surgery