The Top 25 People Crippling Scientology: Readers Poll Results!
Actually, make that the top fifty people crippling the Church of Scientology -- we received more than 3,000 individual choices by 141 voters, with more than 300 different people receiving votes.
Our own countdown finished this morning with L. Ron Hubbard on top, and David Miscavige, Marty Rathbun, Tom Cruise, and the St. Petersburg Times duo of Tom Tobin and Joe Childs rounding out the top five. Our decision to put Anonymous in the #6 position was controversial. The big question in our readers poll, then, was whether Anonymous could rally to come out on top.
Did it? Well, you'll just have to click through the next screens as we reveal how our readers voted.
But first, congratulations to the five people who voted in our poll and were selected randomly to win signed copies of Janet Reitman's Inside Scientology and Hugh Urban's The Church of Scientology. Loyal Runnin' Scared readers Patricia Greenway, Robin Landseadel, Gillian Niven, Brian Robertson, and Jan Welda -- your books will soon be in the mail!
Now, on to the results...
New York Rangers vs. Philadelphia Flyers
TicketsWed., Jan. 25, 8:00pm
Seton Hall Pirates Men's Basketball vs. Butler Bulldogs Men's Basketball
TicketsWed., Jan. 25, 8:30pm
New Jersey Devils vs. Washington Capitals
TicketsThu., Jan. 26, 7:00pm
Seton Hall Pirates Womens Basketball vs. Xavier Womens Basketball
TicketsFri., Jan. 27, 7:00pm
41. Lawrence Wright Score: 197 Lawrence appeared in our group entry about journalists, at #13
42. Ron De Wolf Score: 192 Ron appeared in our group entry about Hubbard family members, at #22
43. The Office of Special Affairs Score: 181 OSA is Scientology's intelligence and covert operations wing, and also oversees the church's public relations.
44. Russell Miller Score: 169 Russell appeared in our group entry about journalists, at #13
45. Mark Ebner (First-place votes: 4) Score: 168 Mark appeared in our group entry about journalists, at #13
46. Graham Berry Score: 167 Graham appeared in our group entry about attorneys, at #23
47. Anderson Cooper Score: 154 The CNN journalist followed up the St. Petersburg Times series, "The Truth Rundown" with his own series on accusations of violence by Scientology leader David Miscavige.
48. Jamie De Wolf Score: 150 Jamie appeared in our countdown at #22
49. Stephen Kent Score: 148 Professor Kent appeared in our group entry about academics, at #24
50. Nancy Many Score: 140 Nancy appeared in our group entry about "noisy ex-Scientologists," at #14
31. Jefferson Hawkins Score: 324 Jeff appeared in our countdown at #17
32. The Internet (First-place votes: 6) Score: 278 A connected world is a tough one for a secretive organization that relies on the uninformed and gullible for raw recruits.
33. Lawrence Wollersheim Score: 276 Lawrence appeared in our group entry about "noisy ex-Scientologists," at #14
34. Ken Dandar (First-place votes: 1) Score: 275 Ken appeared in our countdown at #23
35. Larry Brennan Score: 250 Larry appeared in our group entry about "noisy ex-Scientologists," at #14
36. Jon Atack Score: 236 Jon appeared in our group entry about "noisy ex-Scientologists," at #14
37. Robert Vaughn Young Score: 227 "RVY" appeared in our group entry about "noisy ex-Scientologists," at #14
38. Arnie Lerma Score: 222 Arnie appeared in our group entry about "noisy ex-Scientologists," at #14
39. David Touretzky Score: 214 Professor Touretzky appeared in our countdown at #24
40. Jenna Miscavige Hill Score: 212 Jenna appeared in our group entry about "noisy ex-Scientologists," at #14
21. Paul Haggis (First-place votes: 1) Score: 446 Paul appeared in our group entry about "noisy ex-Scientologists," at #14
22. Ursula Caberta Score: 445 Ursula appeared in our group entry about government officials, at #11
23. Xenu (First-place votes: 1) Score: 435 The galactic overlord appeared in our countdown at #25
24. Amy Scobee Score: 403 Amy appeared in our countdown at #18
25. Kendrick Moxon Score: 389 Rick appeared in our countdown at #21
26. Bob Minton Score: 386 Bob appeared in our group entry about "old time critics," at #15
27. "Emma" Score: 374 Emma appeared in our group entry about "noisy ex-Scientologists," at #14
28. John Sweeney Score: 340 John appeared in our group entry about journalists, at #13
29. The Squirrel Busters Score: 331 The Scientology goon squad appeared in our countdown at #19
30. Jesse Prince Score: 330 Jesse appeared in our group entry about "noisy ex-Scientologists," at #14
11. Tory Christman Score: 769 Tory appeared in our countdown at #14
12. Marc and Claire Headley Score: 765 Marc and Claire appeared in our countdown at #16
13. Andreas Heldal-Lund Score: 695 Andreas appeared in our countdown at #15
14. Janet Reitman Score: 606 Janet appeared in our countdown at #13
15. The Village Voice (First-place votes: 2) Score: 536 We are humbled by your generous votes, and will continue to work hard to earn them.
16. Gerry Armstrong (First-place votes: 5) Score: 528 Gerry appeared in our group entry about "noisy ex-Scientologists," at #14
17. Trey Parker and Matt Stone Score: 488 The duo behind South Park appeared in our countdown at #20
18. Paulette Cooper Score: 486 Paulette appeared in our group entry about journalists, at #13
19. Joe Childs and Tom Tobin/SP Times (First-place votes: 1) Score: 471 Tobin and Childs appeared in our countdown at #5
20. Jason Beghe Score: 454 Jason appeared in our countdown at #9
6. Marty Rathbun (First-place votes: 2) Score: 1,177 Marty appeared in our countdown at #3
7. Tommy Davis Score: 1,151 Tommy appeared in our countdown at #12
8. Nick Xenophon (First-place votes: 3) Score: 1,117 Senator Xenophon appeared in our countdown at #11
9. Lisa McPherson (First-place votes: 2) Score: 938 Lisa appeared in our countdown at #10
10. Mike Rinder Score: 859 Mike appeared in our countdown at #8
1. David Miscavige (First-place votes: 39) Score: 2,575 DM appeared in our countdown at #2
2. Anonymous (First-place votes: 14) Score: 1,795 Project Chanology appeared in our countdown at #6
3. Tom Cruise (First-place votes: 3) Score: 1,788 Tom appeared in our countdown at #4
4. L. Ron Hubbard (First-place votes: 30) Score: 1,579 LRH appeared in our countdown at #1
5. Mark Bunker (First-place votes: 1) Score: 1,315 Wise Beard Man appeared in our countdown at #7
[A big thank you to Judy Schrick of our web team for her help with the poll.]
The Top 25 People Crippling Scientology #1: L. Ron Hubbard #2: David Miscavige #3: Marty Rathbun #4: Tom Cruise #5: Joe Childs and Tom Tobin #6: Anonymous #7: Mark Bunker #8: Mike Rinder #9: Jason Beghe #10: Lisa McPherson #11: Nick Xenophon (and other public servants) #12: Tommy Davis (and other hapless church executives) #13: Janet Reitman (and other journalists) #14: Tory Christman (and other noisy ex-Scientologists) #15: Andreas Heldal-Lund (and other old time church critics) #16: Marc and Claire Headley, escapees of the church's HQ #17: Jefferson Hawkins, the man behind the TV volcano #18: Amy Scobee, former Sea Org executive #19: The Squirrel Busters (and the church's other thugs and goons) #20: Trey Parker and Matt Stone (and other media figures) #21: Kendrick Moxon, attorney for the church #22: Jamie DeWolf (and other L. Ron Hubbard family members) #23: Ken Dandar (and other attorneys who litigate against the church) #24: David Touretzky (and other academics) #25: Xenu, galactic overlord
Tony Ortega is the editor-in-chief of The Village Voice. Since 1995, he's been writing about Scientology at several publications.
Keep up on all of our New York news coverage at this blog, Runnin' Scared
SCIENTOLOGY IN THE VILLAGE VOICE
[Scientology spokesman Tommy Davis secretly recorded discussing "disconnection"] [Benjamin Ring, LA deputy sheriff, wants you to spend your 401K on Scientology] [Scientologists: How many of them are there, anyway?]
MARTY RATHBUN AND THE SIEGE OF SOUTH TEXAS
[Scientology has Rathbun arrested] | [Rathbun and Mark Bunker reveal surprising ties] In Germany with Ursula Caberta: [Announcing plans] | [Press conference] | [Making news about Tom Cruise, Bill Clinton, and Tony Blair] | [Post-trip interview] The Squirrel Busters: [Goons with cameras on their heads] | [Rathbun's open letter to neighbors] | [Ingleside on the Bay, Texas rallies to Rathbun's cause] | [Squirrel Buster's claim to be making a "documentary"] | [VIDEO: "On a Boat"] | ["Anna" sent to creep out Monique Rathbun] | [Squirrel Busters go hillbilly] | [A videographer blows the whistle on the goon squad] | [Ed Bryan, OT VIII, shows the power of Scientology's highest levels]
SCIENTOLOGY SPYING AND "FAIR GAME"
[Secret Scientology documents spell out spying operation against Marc Headley] [Scientology's West U.S. spies list revealed] | [Scientology's enemies list: Are you on it?] Spy operation against Washington Post writer Richard Leiby: [Part 1] | [Part 2] [A Scientology spy comes clean: Paulien Lombard's remarkable public confession] [Scientology advertises for writers in Freedom magazine] [Accidental leak shows Scientology spy wing plans to "handle" the Voice]
SCIENTOLOGY AND CELEBRITIES
["Tom Cruise told me to talk to a bottle"] | [Tom Cruise likes coconut cake] | [Tom Cruise has a sense of humor] | ["Tom Cruise not a kook!"] | [Paulette Cooper on Tom Cruise] [Paul Haggis, director of Crash, issues an ultimatum, leaves the church] [Character actor Jason Beghe defects noisily] | [Actor Michael Fairman reveals his "suppressive person" declaration] | [Michael Fairman talks to the Voice] [Giovanni Ribisi as David Koresh: Scientology-Branch Davidian link makes sense] [Russell Brand weds ex-Scientologists in wild ceremony] | [Skip Press on Haggis] [Placido Domingo Jr.: Scientology's retaliation is "scary and pathetic"] Grant Cardone, NatGeo's "Turnaround King": [Doing Scientology's dirty work?] | [Milton Katselas complained about Cardone's smear job] | [Cardone runs to Huffpo]
JANET REITMAN'S INSIDE SCIENTOLOGY
[Our review of Inside Scientology] | [An interview with Janet Reitman] | [A report from Reitman's first book tour appearance] | [At the Half-King: Reitman not afraid] [Scientology doesn't like Inside Scientology] | [Q&A at Washington Post] [A roundup of Reitman's print reviews, and why isn't she on television more?]
HUGH URBAN'S THE CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY
EX-SCIENTOLOGISTS SPEAK OUT
[Marc Headley: "Tom Cruise told me to talk to a bottle"] | [The Nancy Many interview] [Sympathy for the Devil: Tory Christman's Story] | [Jeff Hawkins' Counterfeit Dreams] [86 Million Thin Dimes: The Lawrence Wollersheim Saga] | [Mike Rinder on spying]
[Scientology dodges a bullet in Australia] | [Scientology exec Jan Eastgate arrested] [All hell breaks loose in Israel] | [Scientology sees fundraising gold in the UK riots] [Aussie former rugby pro Chris Guider calls David Miscavige "toxic" and "violent"] [Stephen Cox, UK church newbie, pledges 20K pounds] | [Biggi Reichert: A German Lisa McPherson?]
ODD VIDEOS AND ODDER NEWS
[Scientology singalong, "We Stand Tall"] | [Captain Bill Robertson and "Galactic Patrol"] [Scientology wins a major award!] | [Scientology wants your money: Meet Dede!] [Birmingham in the House! The "Ideal" dance mix] | [Scientology and the Nation of Islam] [When Scientology was hip] | [Sad: David Miscavige makes fun of his own fundraisers] [Freedom magazine parodies The New Yorker. Hilarity ensues.] [Scientology surf report: Anonymous parties outside the New York "org"]
THE VIEW INSIDE THE BUBBLE
[A scientologist's letter to the Voice and its readers] | [Scientology silent birth] [Tad Reeves: Scientology might listen to this guy] | [More Tad Reeves and family] [Scientology never forgets: A heartwarming telemarketing holiday miracle]
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in New York, delivered to your inbox.