This Aerial Shot of Yesterday's Occupy Wall Street March Doesn't Look Real
That photo, with or without insipid caption, has been making the rounds on Facebook and Tumblr today. It purports to be an aerial shot of yesterday's massive Occupy Wall Street/union march. It's certainly very impressive, but don't be fooled. It's probably not real.
1. It looks a lot like a doctored Google Earth image. Right? Look at the area covered by the march on Google Earth and see what you think.
2. We were at the march from Foley Square to Zuccotti Park yesterday and we can say with certainty that people were not allowed to surround the cars like that. We've corroborated this with other people who were elsewhere in the march. Police had put metal barricades in the middle of the streets so that marchers had about half the street, cars the other half.
3. No evidence of the heavy police presence that was out yesterday.
If anyone can confirm that this is in fact a real non-doctored photograph, do let us know.
Go to Runnin' Scared for more
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Village Voice's biggest stories.
- New York City's Food Pantries Are Struggling to Keep Up With a Growing Demand For Meals
Sat., Nov. 28, 12:00am
Sat., Nov. 28, 12:00pm
Sat., Nov. 28, 1:30pm
Sat., Nov. 28, 7:30pm
- As Islamophobic Rhetoric Gets Louder, NYC Muslims Fear for Their Mosques
- Forget Big Chain Theaters — Watch Movies at These Cool NYC Spots Instead