This Happened: A Dating Site for Ugly People
We are firm believers over here at Runnin' Scared that there really is someone for everyone (except when there clearly isn't, and that's your own damn fault). Also, don't you just sort of get a warm, fuzzy feeling when you see a couple that's as perfectly matched in imperfection as, say, Giselle Bundchen and Tom Brady are suited in stereotypical, boring old beauty? Well, now you can meet your ideal (or lack thereof) on U.K. website TheUglyBugBall.co.uk, which launched Monday with the promise of "dating for the aesthetically challenged," and now has some 1,500 daters signed up.
We're curious: Do the prettiest ugly people get the most dates, or is being the ugliest of the uglies something of a win on an ugly dating site?
While the photos of people on the site seem almost like jokes (and we're not discounting that possibility), the site's creator, Howard James -- who apparently also started DatersWithDogs.com and the sex-without-food-promoting ForgetDinner.co.uk -- takes its mission quite seriously, offering the following 5 Ugly Truths About Dating as evidence as of his site's worth:
1. Half of U.K. daters aren't pretty so instead of fishing in a small pool of prettiness and getting nowhere, dive into an ocean of uglies and have more choice.
2. Ugly people are a better calibre of human -- pretty people generally aren't very nice and are often a bit shallow.
3. Ugly people have had a tougher life and therefore tend to be more considerate and more loyal. A recent TUBB survey also proved that they try harder in bed.
4. Once with an ugly partner it is unlikely that anyone will try and take them from you meaning you can let yourself go completely once you're together.
5. In these straightened times TUBB is cheaper as a) We don't charge much as the pretty sites and b) Ugly people have lower expectations -- for a first date A Family Bucket will usually do the trick
James, by the way, is "a committed single, choosing to spend his time testing his casual dating site to destruction, driving his sports car rather too fast and walking his dog in Richmond Park." Not sure what he looks like, though -- is he hiding because he's ugly or because he's pretty? -- or whether he'd go for that old Family Bucket ploy. Who's hungry now?
We are currently signing up for the site and will update as to our success, or lack thereof.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you'll never miss Village Voice's biggest stories.