Tornado Kills 89 in Joplin, Missouri; Barack Obama Arrives in Dublin for Six-Day Trip Through Europe
• 89 people have been killed by a massive tornado that hit Joplin, Missouri, on Sunday, cutting a six-mile path through the center of town and leveling much of the city's south side, including businesses, homes, and restaurants. Search and rescuers continue to look for victims. There have been an estimated 600 tornadoes in the U.S. in April, breaking the previous record of 542 tornadoes in May of 2003. There were also tornadoes in Kansas and Minneapolis over the weekend. [WSJ]
• President Obama arrived in Ireland on Monday, part of a six-day trip through Europe. He plans to travel to Moneygall, where his great-great-great-grandfather lived before coming to the United States in 1850. He'll also visit London, and is scheduled to have dinner at Buckingham Palace on Tuesday. [NYT]
• The 18-year-old Brooklyn woman who threw her newborn down her building's trash chute has been arrested and charged with attempted murder and endangering the welfare of a child. The baby, who was found in a plastic bag, is expected to be okay. [NY1]
• A decomposed body was discovered on a Hamptons beach by a walker out for a stroll on Sunday. It was found some 100 miles east of Gilgo Beach, where a serial killer is suspected of dumping 10 corpses, though it's not known if there's a link. [NYDN]
• Due to budget shortfalls, states are cutting back in their efforts to provide antiretrovirals and other drugs to patients with HIV and AIDs. [WP]
• Arnold Schwarzenegger "reportedly picks unattractive women to bed" because they admire his physique more and are "grateful" for his attention. Hm. [NYP]
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Village Voice's biggest stories.
- 'Convicting Peter Liang Is Not a Conviction of the NYPD,' Prosecutor Concludes
Tue., Feb. 16, 7:00pm
Wed., Feb. 17, 7:00pm
Wed., Feb. 17, 8:00pm
Wed., Feb. 17, 8:00pm
- Group for Homeless LGBT Youth Moves a Step Closer to Buying Terrible Anti-Gay Church...
- Voice Letters: Readers Share Their Energy Service Company Horror Stories