U.S. Unemployment Rises; Rudy Giuliani Announces Timing of Announcement for Presidential Run; East River Swimming Pools?
• Unhappy Friday: The U.S. unemployment rate has risen to 9.1 percent in May from 9.0 percent in April. Employers hired just 54,000 new workers in May. [WSJ]
• Rudy Giuliani will let us know if he's running for president in 2012 in "late summer," he says. He can wait that long because he has "the advantage of very high name-recognition." Mitt Romney, meanwhile, has formally announced his presidential bid. [NBC NY]
• A 73-year-old man upset over his divorce shot and killed five people in Yuma, Arizona, yesterday, including his wife and her divorce lawyer, before killing himself. He also wounded a friend of his former wife. [NYT]
• Dwayne Jones, 20, was charged with attempted assault and rioting for his part in trashing a West Village Dunkin' Donuts in mid-May. [NYDN]
• A thousand firefighters, along with City Council members and other representatives, will march across the Brooklyn Bridge and join more firefighters at City Hall today to protest the 20 fire companies currently slated to be cut. [NY1]
• An audience member of a performance art piece called "Tragic Bambi" is suing, claiming she was scalded by boiling-hot glue at the show -- during which Kikuno Tanaka glues fake pearls on a severed deer head. [NYP]
• A guy wants to build floating swimming pools in the East River. This sounds like a fantastic idea. [NYPress]
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
- The Ray of Ray's Candy Store Back in the Shop Despite Heart Surgery
Sat., Aug. 1, 1:00pm
Sat., Aug. 1, 2:00pm
Sat., Aug. 1, 7:00pm
Sun., Aug. 2, 3:00pm
- Here Are the Locations From 'Kids,' Twenty Years Later
- What Can We Learn From Donald Trump's Twitter Account?