Woman Paralyzed By Hickey
These are things people need to know about! It's scary, but we're telling you for your own good! So, sit up and pay attention! A woman in New Zealand lost movement in her left arm, which was concerning. She went to the emergency room, where doctors found a nasty old hickey on her neck near an artery. According to Dr. Teddy Wu, "Because it was a lovebite there would be a lot of suction. Because of the physical trauma it had made a bit of bruising inside the vessel." Also, ew: "There was a clot in the artery underneath where the hickey was."
The clot, then, went to the woman's heart, causing a minor stroke. Fortunately, she was treated and has regained the use of her arm, and everything else.
Wu said he thought it was the first incident of hickey-hospitalization.
If you must bite, bite softly. And carry a big stick.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Village Voice's biggest stories.
- Group for Homeless LGBT Youth Moves a Step Closer to Buying Terrible Anti-Gay Church...
Fri., Feb. 12, 7:00pm
Sun., Feb. 14, 12:30pm
Sun., Feb. 14, 2:00pm
Sun., Feb. 14, 7:30pm
- Voice Letters: Readers Share Their Energy Service Company Horror Stories
- Landlords Can't Stop Evicting Latino-Owned Businesses in Washington Heights