Your Taxes Are Due; 45 Killed by Severe Storms in the South; Kate Middleton Is 'Third Most Beautiful' Royal
• Hopefully this doesn't come as a surprise: Your taxes are due today, an extension of three days on account of Emancipation Day, a D.C. holiday which was celebrated Friday. You have until midnight tonight to postmark your returns. Some post offices will be open late. [CNN]
• 45 people have been killed by severe storms in the South, including six victims in Virginia and 22 in North Carolina, where 92 tornadoes hit. [CNN, Pat's Papers]
• Barack Obama is heading West to promote his debt-reduction plan, which involves spending cuts and tax hikes on the rich. [WP]
• Uh oh. Donald Trump is making the "types of moves that one makes if they're actually running" for president, according to a top Republican consultant. [NBC NY]
• Hundreds of New Yorkers protested the imprisonment of Chinese artist Ai Weiwei this Sunday by sitting in chairs silently outside of the Chinese Consulate in Midtown. [NYDN]
• Kate Middleton is the third most beautiful royal ever, according to a poll. Grace Kelly is at number 1. [NYP]
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Village Voice's biggest stories.
- Seventeen Millennials Arrested as Police Bust Elaborate Credit Card Scheme
- Video: Brooklyn Flag-Burning Protest Erupts in a Few Almost-Fights
- The NYPD Has Installed Cameras Across the City So You Won't Be Tempted to Set Off...