Off-Broadway's Highest Honor
1980 Award Winners
- Sam Shepard
- The Flying Karamazov Brothers
- The Actors of Le Centre International de Creations Theatrales, for outstanding ensemble performance
- Ellen Stewart and La Mama E.T.C., for contribution to the American theatre by the importation of foreign companies
- David Jones and Richard Nelson, for innovative programming at the BAM Theatre Company
- Ntozake Shange, for her adaptation of "Mother Courage"
- Lee Breuer, A Prelude to Death in Venice (script and direction)
- Christopher Durang, Sister Mary Ignatius Explains It All for You
- Romulus Linney, Tennessee
- Roland Muldoon, Full Confessions of a Socialist (script and direction)
- Jeff Weiss, That's How the Rent Gets Paid (Part Three) (script and direction)
- Michael Burrell, Hess
- Michael Cristofer, Chinchilla
- Lindsay Crouse, Reunion
- Elizabeth Franz, "Sister Mary Ignatius Explains It All for You"
- Morgan Freeman, "Mother Courage" and "Coriolanus"
- John Heard, "Othello" and "Split"
- Michael Higgins, `Reunion"
- Madeleine le Roux, "La Justice"
Jon Polito for performances with Dodger Theatre Company and the BAM Theater Company
- Bill Raymond, A Prelude to Death in Venice
- Dianne Wiest, The Art of Dining
- Hattie Winston, "Mother Courage" and "The Michigan"
- Eileen Blumenthal, Harold Clurman, Michael Feingold, Terry Curtis Fox, Erika Munk, Julius Novick, Ross Wetzsteon
- A.J. Antoon, The Art of Dining
- Edward Cornell, Johnny on a Spot
- Elizabeth LeCompte, Point Judith
- Ruth Maleczech and Julie Archer, for the design of "Vanishing Pictures"
- Sally Jacobs, for the designs of "Conference of the Birds"
Beverly Emmons for distinguished lighting design
- Laura Crow, for the costumes for "Mary Stuart"
Best Ensemble Performance
- See CITATIONS