Off-Broadway's Highest Honor
1982 Award Winners
- Maria Irene Fornes
- La Mama, 20th anniversary celebration
- Harvey Fierstein, "Torch Song Trilogy,"
- Theatre Communications Group
- Robert Auletta, "Stops" and "Virgins,"
- Caryl Churchill, "Cloud 9,"
- Kevin Bacon, "Forty Deuce" and "Poor Little Lambs"
- James Barbosa, Soon Jack November
- Ray Dooley, Peer Gynt
- Christine Estabrook, Pastorale
- Michael Gross, No End of Blame
- E. Katherine Kerr, Cloud 9
- Kenneth McMillan, Weekends Like Other People
- Kevin O'Connor, "Chucky's Hunch," "Birdbath," and "Crossing the Crab Nebula"
- Carole Shelley, Twelve Dreams
- Josef Sommer, Lydie Breeze
- Irene Worth, The Chalk Garden
- Eileen Blumenthal, Michael Feingold, Erika Munk, Julius Novick, Voice Judges
- Gus Edwards, Richard Gilman, Guest Judges
- Ross Wetzsteon, Chairman
- Robert Massa, Assistant to the committee
Distinguished Ensemble Performance
- Lisa Banes, Brenda Currin, Elizabeth McGovern and Beverly May, May My Sister in This House
- Adolph Caesar, Larry Riley, and Denzel Washington, `A Soldier's Play"
- Tommy Tune, Cloud 9
Jim Clayburgh Sustained Excellence in Set Design
Arden Fingerhut Sustained Excellence in Lighting Design
- Jim Clayburgh
Best Theater Piece
- Tadeusz Kantor, "Wielopole, Wielopole"
Best New American Play (tie)
- tie), Metamorphosis in Miniature
- , Mr. Dead and Mrs. Free