Off-Broadway's Highest Honor
1983 Award Winners
- Lanford Wilson, Marshall Mason, and the Circle Repertory Company
- The Big Apple Circus
- Ethyl Eichelberger, Lucrezia Borgia
- Michael Moschen, Fred Garbo, Bob Berky, `Foolsfire"
- The Zagreb theater Company, The Liberation of Skopje
Dramatists Play Service for its commitment to new work
- Performing Arts Journal publications
Theatre Development Fund for its Off-Off-Broadway voucher program
- The musical performance of Poppie Nongena
- The musical production of The Mother of Us All
- Caryl Churchill, "Top Girls"
Tina Howe Distinguished Playwriting
Harry Kondoleon Most Promising Young Playwright
David Mamet, Edmond (Howe, Kondoleon, and Mamet share the $1000 prize for best new American play.)
- Ernest Abuba, Yellow Fever
- Christine Baranski, A Midsummer Night's Dream
- Glenn Close, The Singular Life of Albert Nobbs
- Jeff Daniels, Johnny Got His Gun
- Ruth Maleczech, Hadd
- John Malkovich, True West
- Donald Moffat, Painting Churches
- Ray Wise, the Tooth of Crime
- Eileen Blumenthal, Michael Feingold, Erika Munk, Julius Novick, Voice Judges
- Ross Wetzsteon, Chairman
- Robert Massa, Secretary
- Maria Irene Fornes and John Guare, Guest Judges
- Director Kenneth Frankel and the Cast of "Quartermaine's Terms"
- Director Max Stafford Clark and the Royal Court cast of "Top Girls"
- The New York Shakespeare Festival cast of "Top Girls'
- Gregory Mosher, Edmond
- Gary Sinise, True West
- Heidi Landesman, "A Midsummer Night's Dream" and "Painting Churches"
Best New American Play:
- See PLAYWRIGHTING