Off-Broadway's Highest Honor
A medley from the highly acclaimed new Off-Broadway musical, Here Lies Love, was performed by the cast. The Brazilian jazz-pop group Banda Magda also performed.
The Obies were judged by a committee that included Chairman Michael Feingold, Alexis Soloski as secretary, and the following guest judges: Obie Award-winning playwright Erin Courtney; director-performer Mia Katigbak, Co-Founder of NAATCO; critic and Theater magazine editor Tom Sellar; and Obie Award-winning director Leigh Silverman.
Meryl Streep presented 2013 Obie Awards for Lifetime Achievement to Lois Smith and Frances Sternhagen.
In a tie vote, the judges accorded the award for Best New American Play to Lisa d'Amour's Detroit (Playwrights Horizons) and Julia Jarcho's Grimly Handsome (Incubator Arts Project), with each playwright receiving a $500. cash prize.
2013 Award Winners
- David Levine and Marsha Ginsberg, HABIT
- Dave Malloy and Rachel Chavkin, Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812
- Nature Theater of Oklahoma, Life and Times: Episodes 1-4
- Ayad Akhtar, Disgraced
- Annie Baker, The Flick
- Eisa Davis, Sustained Excellence
- Brandon J. Dirden, The Piano Lesson
- Shuler Hensley, The Whale
- Matthew Maher, Sustained Excellence
- Paul Thureen, Blood Play
- Fulcrum Theater
- Half Straddle
Music And Lyrics
- David Byrne & Fatboy Slim, Here Lies Love
- The Ross Wetzsteon Award, Clubbed Thumb
- Lois Smith
- Frances Sternhagen
- Lear deBessonet, The Good Person Of Szechuan
- John Rando, All In The Timing
- Ruben Santiago-Hudson, The Piano Lesson
- Eric Ting, We Are Proud To Present A Presentation...
- Laura Jellinek, Sustained excellence of Set Design
- Clint Ramos, Sustained excellence of Costume Design
Best New American Play (tie)
- Lisa D'Amour, Detroit
- Julia Jarcho, Grimly Handsome