11 Best Burgers of 2011, NYC
Bacon cheeseburger at Prospect Heights' Dean Street
In honor of National Hamburger Day (why so close to Christmas, meat-masters?), we here present the 11 burgers that stuck most in our minds. And we promise they taste as good as they look.
11. Dean Street (above) -- Love it when the hamburger with its accoutrements makes a still life on the plate, as fit to be painted as eaten. Fries and smothering cheese both excellent. 755 Dean Street, Prospect Heights, Brooklyn, 718-783-3326
10. Petey's Burger -- Looking something like a disheveled bride, Petey's is about the closest you're going to come to In-N-Out Burger, and it will do just fine. 30-17 30th Avenue, Astoria, Queens, 718-267-6300
9. Coppelia -- Pulled pork and fried pork skins cover the luxuriant Frita Cubana Burger, like a barnyard brawl between a pig and a cow. 207 West 14th Streeet, 212-858-5001
8. Sparrow Tavern -- Lean, grass-fed beef topped with your choice of speck or bacon, and the rosemary fries are a thing of beauty. 24-01 29th Street, Astoria, Queens, 718-606-2260
7. Bayard's Ale House -- It was like a thousand other Irish bar burgers, but something snapped, and it tasted better than any burger that had recently gone before it. 533 Hudson Street, 212-989-0313
6. Goat Town -- Pickled purple onions, homemade mayo, and bitter greens top this luscious burger, which explodes in your mouth like a meat firecracker. 511 East 5th Street, 212-687-3641
5. Korzo Haus -- The patty is lightly seared, put in a big ball of dough, and then fried. It comes out crisp on the outside, juicy in the middle. Burger revolution! 178 East 7th Street, 212-780-0181
4. Fatty Johnson's (pop-up, now closed) -- Yes, dear friends, there's a burger patty somewhere in the middle of all that glop, and the yolk hasn't even broken yet.
3. Julius' -- In honor of Pride weekend, we check out the burger at Julius', which is cooked on a little grill in the corner of the bar by a twink. Man, was it good! 159 West 10th Street, 212-243-1928
2. Jones Wood Foundry -- Don't be put off by the twee little Union Jack flying from the sesame-seeded bun. Rip it out, throw it away, and enjoy one of the juiciest burgers in town. 401 East 76th Street, 212-249-2700
1. Northeast Kingdom -- A compact burger, to be sure, but bursting with flavor. And don't you wish that more hamburgers came with tater tots? 18 Wyckoff Avenue, Bushwick, Brooklyn, 718-386-3864
Please check out Rebecca Marx's list of Our 10 Best Veggie Burgers.
Like this post? Take a gander at the rest of our blog.
Follow us on Twitter if you dare: @robertsietsema [Robert Sietsema] @chantytown [Chantal Martineau] @ldshockey [Lauren Shockey] @ForkintheRoadVV
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to New York dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.