Bodega Frozen Treats
King Cone by Good Humor
Sometimes you want a roasted plum People's Pop, but other times you'd just rather stuff your face in a junky sugar-bomb from Good Humor.
Any old bodega is likely to have a long, low cooler filled with all sorts of cheap frozen treats -- reach in, and what you come up with depends on where you are in town and the luck of the draw. Some get highfalutin with Ben & Jerry's and Häagen-Dazs. Others cater to the neighborhood with Latin or Italian ices.
We gathered sweets from several bodegas across town for a taste test and then put together this list of our 10 favorites. Did we miss one? Let us know in the comments.
Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie Sandwich
10. Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie Sandwich Otherwise known as a Chipwich. Junky chocolate-chip cookies redeem themselves by containing a good pinch of salt.
9. Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia Bar The discerning stoner's favorite: that awesome pink cherry ice cream studded with frozen Bing cherries, all of it wrapped up in dark chocolate.
8. Esquimalito Tropical Mango Ice It's easy to forgive this ice for being a little too sweet because it also tastes vibrantly of mango -- floral and sweetly tart. (Mango puree is the second ingredient.)
7. Jack & Jill's Double Sundae Fudge A nostalgic treat in a cup: The ice cream is piped into little crowns, and the chocolate sauce tastes exactly like Hershey's.
6. Popsicle Orange Sherbet Push-Up Half the fun is pushing the oddly fluorescent confection up the tube. And that artificial milky orange flavor never fails to give us the pleasant shivers.
Jack & Jill's Double Sundae Fudge
Slurp onward for the top five ...Next Page
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to New York dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.