Food Music Mixtapes For All Your Summer Rug-Cutting Needs
As both Jessica Simpson and the Bard can attest, music is indeed the food of love. We, however, would much rather focus on the music of food. There's no lack of songs on the subject, so under two "foodonyms" (DJ Escoffier and DJ Bearded James) we've compiled a duo of mixes intended to get your stomachs rumbling while you twerk. Covering a variety of genres, from disco to hip-hop, R&B and soul to Mary-Kate and Ashley Olson's timeless classic "Gimme Pizza" (which may or may not have laid the foundation for dubstep), there's enough material here to dance your cares away at a summer picnic or sit back with a negroni and marinate along with your meats on Independence Day.
With Steak Plates & Bellyaches Volumes 1 and 2, the goal was to meld two things that bring people together into a double scoop of aural comfort food. Want to take this hot-boxed party bus to the next level? Host a potluck featuring foods from the tracklist. Not XXX-treme enough? Try finishing each dish before the next song plays.
Without further ado, we present Volume 1. Check back tomorrow for Volume 2.
1. The Life and Times of Tim "The New O'Flaherty's" / Amon Tobin - Chomp Samba
2. People Under The Stairs - Eat Street
3. Cibo Matto - Artichoke
4. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Gin and Juice
5. Deerhoof - Kidz are so Small
6. Z-Trip - Breakfast Club
7. Digital Underground - Oregano Flow
8. Delocated - Grinder High
9. Kool & the Gang - Chocolate Buttermilk
10. Ray Brown, John Clayton & Christian McBride - Taco with a Pork Chop
11. MF Doom - Orange Blossoms
12. Webstar & Young B - Chicken Noodle Soup
13. Brenda Taylor - You Can't Have Your Cake and Eat It Too
14. Led Zeppelin - The Lemon Song / Party Down "Sirloin Sliders"
15. Kim Mitchell - Go For A Soda
16. Vampire Weekend - Horchata
17. Lou Courtney - Hot Butter 'N'All
18. Elvis Presley - Crawfish
19. Chuck Womack & The Sweet Souls - Ham Hocks
20. Michael Franks - Eggplant / Curb Your Enthusiasm "Palestinian Chicken"
21. People Under The Stairs - Chicken Kebap
22. Mandrill - Mango Meat
23. Queen Latifah - Bring The Flavor
24. Tom Goes To The Mayor "This is a health camp, gah!" / Mandrill - Chutney
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to New York dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.