Hurricane Irene Aftermath: The 10 Styles of Restaurant Window Taping
1. The Brilliant -- Using the windowpanes as a tic-tac-toe board is a stroke of genius; but note that, as with Irene, nobody wins.
Experts tell us that taping windows before a hurricane is a futile act. It won't keep the window from breaking in a high wind, nor will it keep the pane, once broken, from shattering and flying all over the place. Accordingly, the only merit to window taping is artistic, and it seems to be an activity mainly pursued by restaurants. Here are some of the best examples we could find.
2. The Hysterical -- Sometimes the tape has been thrown up so rapidly and haphazardly, it indicates a state of near-hysteria in the artist.
3. The Halfhearted -- Even if you believed in window taping, there's no way this style of taping would do the slightest bit of good.
4. The Anal Retentive -- The brain behind this one must have reasoned, The wind will be blowing horizontally, and thus must I make my tape stripes.
5. The Anal Explosive -- The fervency of this taping is undeniable, and the taper was firm in his or her belief that such taping is efficacious. The mixture of taping styles is interesting.
6. The Timid -- For God's sake man, if you're not going to tape the whole window in big, bold strokes, don't do it!
7. The Frankly Incompetent -- If you're going to put up the cardboards with such tiny pieces of tape, of course they're going to blow down immediately.
8. The Workmanlike -- Nothing flashy here, just some methodical and competent taping.
9. The Inspired -- Something about this window-boxing made us desire a Japanese beer. Right now.
10. The Minimalist -- Since no amount of taping makes the slightest difference, why not play down your taping and make an artistic statement?
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to New York dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Fawkner, an Americana-Inspired Gentlemen's Drinking Den in Cobble Hill
- Must-Have: The Creamy, Custardy, Salted Caramel Pumpkin Bar at Empire Cake
- Vegetarian Cider House Wassail Fizzes in the Glass and Dazzles on the Plate
- NYC's New World of Breakfast Sandwiches Will Vastly Improve Your Days (and Nights)