Our 10 Best Kitchen Stores
A week into 2010 and you're already struggling to keep your New Year's resolutions. Eat better? Sure would be easier with a new juicer. Drink better wine? You'll need classier wine glasses for that. Cook more at home? You'd best get yourself some decent knives first. Of course, you did get that combination garlic press-bottle opener from your mom. But wouldn't it make you happier to return it (or re-gift it) and get yourself something you really want? The answer to all these questions is yes. So, break out the wish list and head to one of our 10 Best Kitchen Stores.
But first, which ones didn't quite make the cut?
We've found great plates, glasses, pots, pans, gadgets, and gewgaws at these shops. Presenting the runners up: Korin Japanese Trading Corporation: 57 Warren Street, 212-587-7021 Tableware and knives, knives, knives!
Sur La Table: 75 Spring Street, 212-966-3375 Dinnerware, small appliances, cookbooks, fancy condiments.
Global Table: 109 Sullivan Street, 212-431-5839 Glassware, dinnerware, silverware. Cook's Companion: 197 Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn, 718-852-6901 Knives, knife sharpening, bakeware, cast iron.
Surprise! Surprise!: 91 Third Avenue, 212-777-0990 Cutlery, kitchen tools, glassware, fridge magnets.
Hey kids, it's plate time!
And now, for the bottom five. Our wallets (and heads) feel lighter already...
10. Whisk: 231 Bedford Avenue, Brooklyn, 718-218-7230 Cookware, cookbooks, espresso machines, chutneys and jams.
9. Tarzian West: 194 Seventh Avenue, Brooklyn, 718-788-4213 Cookware, kitchen tools, espresso machines.
8. Kitchen Arts & Letters: 1435 Lexington Avenue, 212-876-5550 Cookbooks, cookbooks, bartending guides, cookbooks.
7. Crate and Barrel: 611 Broadway, 212-780-0004 Tableware, tablecloths, kitchen tools, shiny gadgets.
6. Chef Restaurant Supplies: 294-298 Bowery, 212-254-6644 Small appliances, dinnerware, barware, bug zappers.
Let cast iron cast a spell on you.
Who snagged the top spots? These retail destinations keep us happily in the red.
5. Pearl River Mart: 477 Broadway, 212-431-4770 Tea sets, chopsticks, tableware, kitchen tools.
4. The Brooklyn Kitchen: 616 Lorimer Street, Brooklyn, 718-389-2982 Canning supplies, cast iron, local copper cookware.
3. J.B. Prince: 36 East 31st Street, 212-683-3553 Bakeware, pretty serving bowls, sous-vide.
2. Broadway Panhandler: 65 8th Street, 866-266-5927 Small appliances, bakeware, barware, knives.
1. Bowery Kitchen Supply: 460 West 16th Street, 212-219-1457 Cookware, tableware, knives and knife sharpening, butcher blocks and wine racks.
Think we forgot one? Let us know in the comments box.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to New York dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.