Recipe: Deep Purple from PDT
Last week, Jim Meehan debuted six new port cocktails on the menu at his East Village speakeasy, PDT. This autumnal beauty -- made with Concord grapes and shiso -- is named for the rock band. And yeah, you might find yourself humming "Smoke on the Water" when you take a sip.
Here's the recipe:
The drink: Deep Purple
The bar: PDT
The bartender: Jim Meehan
The ingredients: 1.75 oz. Tesseron Lot 76 XO Cognac, 1 oz. Noval Black Port, .75 oz. Lillet Rouge, 6 concord grapes, 1 shiso leaf
1) Muddle the concord grapes and shiso 2) Add the rest of the ingredients and ice 3) Shake and fine strain into a chilled rocks glass filled with pebble ice 4) Garnish with a shiso leaf
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to New York dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Hold the Sugar: These Savory Tipples Require Serious Sipping
- With League of Kitchens, Learn Home Cooking from Immigrants from Around the Globe
- This Week in Food: Fake Wine Talk, French Mustard and Pastry Pop-Up, and a Filipino Feast
- Best Weekend Food Events: Fare Share Friday, Perilla's Final Hour, and Late Night Oysters