See Ya, 2011: A Look Back at Our Top Posts of the Year
And we're done!
2011 was a big year for listicles here at Fork in the Road. Our weekly Friday "10 Best" posts nabbed eight of the 10 most popular stories of the year. Of course, we did more than name the tastiest (and occasionally worst) things to eat in New York and review fast-food items. We also highlighted the city's best baked goods, interviewed chefs and bartenders, sampled delicious cocktails, answered your dining questions, and highlighted delicious dishes you really ought to eat, plus much, much more. And now, before we don the hangover patches and break out the budget bubbly, let's take one last look at the top stories of 2011. Because after we get our New Year's drinking on, it's going to be a whole lot harder to remember.
10. Remember Taco Bell's Beefy Crunchy Burrito? It came out last January, so maybe not. It was crunchy because it came filled with spice-coated Fritos. Relive the faux-Mex flavor with our review, complete with a burrito cesarean.
9. Do you find slacker service and self-congratulatory eco design annoying? You're not alone! They're just two of the 10 Worst Contemporary Restaurant Trends.
7. Mirror, mirror on the wall, who's the greatest chef of all? That was the question posed in the ranking of New York City's 17 Greatest Chefs. Did your top toque make the list?
6. Why buy wine when you can bring your own? New York City boasts many great spots that let you bring bottles. Find the best of the bunch in Our 10 Best BYOB Restaurants.
5. Penn Station is often considered the armpit of New York City that's the gateway to the armpit of America. But you can actually find a decent snack there -- you just need to know where to look. Luckily, we've got the 10 Best and Cheapest Penn Station Eats.
4. New York City is all about attitude. It's part of its charm, yes, but who really wants to dine at a pretentious restaurant? Answer: no one. Check out the worst offenders in Our 10 Most Pretentious Restaurants.
3. Craving Tingly Lamb Face Salad, Hong Kong-Style Wonton Lo Mein, and Stir-Fried Peel Noodles? Aren't we all? Discover where to get these tasty gems and more in Our 10 Best Things to Eat in Manhattan's Chinatown.
2. Way back in 2010, we highlighted 10 Fast-Food Items That Don't Totally Suck. One item that won't ever, ever, ever make that list is McDonald's Fruit and Maple Oatmeal. Read our review and learn why.
1. And finally, our most popular story of the year: Our 10 Best NYC Restaurants of the Last Two Centuries, a nostalgic glimpse at the grand restaurants that made (and are making) New York City a dining destination. A fitting end for 2011, indeed.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to New York dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.