For the Proust dissertation, the two most important functions in this space are sleeping and working. Thus, a good bed and desk are crucial; a centrally placed storage unit divides the two. I chose two chairs that are colorful and whimsical to contrast with the heavier, more serious dark wood furniture. Since there are so many books, I stacked a few on the floor and placed a thick piece of glass on top to act as a bedside table. Most of the pieces are sourced from catalogs or Web sites to accommodate a busy person’s life.
- 33 Sixty Desk, laminate top, aluminum legs, $495, and Red Pocket Chair, polycarbonate seat, $99.95Design Within Reach, 142 Wooster, dwr.com. Shipping for both, $120.45
- Yellow Toy armchair, polypropylene, Oriac Design, oriacdesign.com, $128.95 w/s
- Two linen panel curtains, West Elm, westelm.com, $52 w/s
- Two Umbria silver-ball drapery rod sets, Target, $39.98
- Two rolling shelves, dark-stained wood, West Elm, $727.80 w/s
- Full-size wood platform bed, West Elm, $593.90 w/s
- Full-size six-inch futon mattress, Economy Foam & Futon, 173 East Houston Street, $85 with delivery
- Cotton bedspread with crochet inset, Urban Outfitters, $48
- Two pillows, Target, $15.98
- One Egyptian cotton full T-sheet set, Bed Bath & Beyond, $39.99
- Glass top, Kauder Glass & Mirror, 45 East 20th Street, $71
- Metal-mesh stick table lamp, Target, $24.99
* Last-minute hidden extra bulk shipping costs helped push this budget over by $127.96.