Data Entry Services
This just landed in our inbox this morning, and we are just passing it along (without editing or comment), so don’t shoot the messenger.
This is something to think about. Is Joe Torre the real reason why they lost or is it the fan favorite Donny Baseball (Mattingly)?
- He was drafted in 1979…finished 4th in the division a year after winning the World Series
- 1980 – 1995 Mattingly in the organization they don’t win the world series.
- Retires at the end of the 1995 season after a loss in the first round to the Mariners. A year later (1996) Yankees win the Series
- 1997 Mattingly raises the World Series Flag = Knocked out in the division series
- 2000 – Mattingly has no association with the Yankees = W.S. Champions
- 2001 special hitting instructor in Spring Training = The Dynasty Ends
- 2002 Hitting instructor = they lose in the first round
- 2003-2007 Hitting Coach/Bench Coach knocked out every year…
Of course, that email sparked a passionate response and everybody from A-Rod to Jeter to the Chupacabra got some of the blame.
The first response to the Mattingly email blamed A-Rod naturally:
My vote is for Alex Rodriguez being the problem. The guy is a jinx wherever he goes. Part of a 120 game winning Mariner team and gets mowed down by the Yankees in the play-offs (I think this was in 2000). Goes to Texas and they went no where. Goes to the Yankees where they are up 3 to 0 in the ALCS and then lose 4 straight. The guy is a jinx and loser no matter where he goes. Get rid of A-Rod and bring in Mike Lowell for 3B and you get a Yankee team which goes further along in the play-offs or possibly to the World Series. Have Alex as a Yankee the next 8 years and they will never go to the World Series during that time. Count on it!!
Then someone suggested that the Chupacabra, the mythical Puerto Rican goat-sucker, caused the Yankees to lose. Then Derek Jeter got the blame. Perhaps it was the Captain’s fault, but the Chupacabra is an interesting angle…