It’s so cold that it’s tempting to not leave the apartment again until Monday. But if you venture out, here are my favorite ways to warm up. Got one of your own?
- Berlin cider at Eurotrip (667 5th Ave, Brooklyn): This is a concoction of hot German cider with bourbon, sage and nutmeg.
- Hot pot at the Chinatown Grand Sichuan (125 Canal Street): Get the lamb and the potent, chile-laden broth.
- Slurp the ridiculously delicious, spicy-miso-porky akamaru shin ramen at Ippudo (65 4th Avenue).
- Go to Book Chang Dong (46-09 Kissena Blvd, Queens) for soon dubu, or soft tofu stew: Get it with pork, kimchi, mushrooms, clams or whatever option you like, but don’t forget to ask for extra spicy and to crack the raw egg into the bowl.
- Boeuf bourguignon at Chez Napoleon (365 West 50th Street), where the ancient, eccentric surroundings (murals of Napoleon on the walls) are campy and fun, and where the food is still very, seriously good.
This article from the Village Voice Archive was posted on January 16, 2009