FOOD ARCHIVES

Death by Chocolate: Updated

by

A man in his twenties died this morning after being smothered in a vat of molten chocolate into which he had apparently fallen. He was pronounced dead at 11 a.m. after being pulled from the vat by a buddy. The accident occurred at Lyons and Company, a manufacturer of food products on spec for other companies, including C & C Cola. The vat is used to melt bulk chocolate prior to manufacturing finished products. Details of the accident are still sketchy and the man’s name has not yet been released.

Update, 6:45 p.m: The victim was identified by the Camden Country prosecutor’s office as 29-year-old Vincent Smith II of Camden, New Jersey. He was apparently leaning over the top of the eight-foot-deep vat and fell in. He was then knocked out by the paddles that stir the chocolate, and was immersed in the 120-degree brown goo for ten minutes before he could be extracted.

The plant was being subleased by Lyons and Company to Cocoa Services, Inc., a company whose only apparent activity is melting lump chocolate so it can be used by candy manufacturers.

This article from the Village Voice Archive was posted on July 8, 2009

More:

Archive Highlights