A transformer — either on top of the Burlington Coat Factory on Sixth Avenue near West 19th Street, or under a Radio Shack on Sixth Avenue near West 20th Street, depending on reports — blew up this morning. The explosion was preceded by a fire, presumably caused by the overheated transformer, to which FDNY had responded. The blast broke windows and left soot everywhere — the damage goes up three floors — but it appears no one was hurt. Investigations are ongoing.
Update: Yikes: when an employee from a nearby ad agency came down to see what the fuss was about, the Times says, “the whole sidewalk was on fire.”
Update 2: Some People suggest the transformer merely set fire to something else that blew up, and did not itself explode.