NYU has money, NYU needs space, NYU says it wants to work with the community.
OK, so here are five things NYU can do, only two of which require new construction:
1. Relocate nursing school to St Vincent’s and establish a second teaching hospital on site.
2. Assume responsibility for the upkeep and beautification of Washington Square Park and Tompkins Square Park.
3. Contribute to the upkeep and renovation of neighborhood branch libraries (Jefferson Market, Ottendorfer, Hudson Park, Tompkins Square, and Mulberry Street) by establishing satellite research facilities.
4. Create a vertical campus in the new buildings planned for Ground Zero.
5. Create a sports facility on Governors Island with free ferry service and community use for Little League, soccer, and school sports