After a fusillade of dense, viscous, and gross objects were thrown at Tila Tequila during last month’s Gathering of the Juggalos, a Cave-in-Rock, Illinois event you can read at length about over here, the reality TV personality/internet lady vowed publicly to end the annual festival and told E!, “I’m hoping this will be the last Juggalos Gathering that they will ever have.” Faring even worse for the Gathering’s future, later that weekend rap don/actor Method Man got hit in the head with a flying object, his cheek cut, and he threatened to sue. (He’s since talked with Violent J and reneged.) Given all the negative attention, the four-day bacchanal’s future seemed to be jeopardy. But only to outsiders.
When I recently asked Violent J and Shaggy 2 Dope if there’d be future Gatherings, they answered in disbelief (and in unison): “Oh, come on, what?”
Violent J quickly clarified, “There will always be Gatherings. There will always, forever, be Gatherings.”
They didn’t foresee making any structural changes or implementing any additional rules next year, despite what transpired in 2010. “People taking the freedom we have at the Gathering and abusing it. It’s a shame, man,” Violent J admitted. “The Juggalos who throw shit, they don’t know–or they don’t care–that it makes it harder for us. It makes us harder to even book events. And the insurance is through the roof. And everything is just hard, you know. But we’re always gonna find a way to make it happen. That’s never even crossed our mind–not having a Gathering.”
Tom Seiner, the Sheriff of Cave-In-Rock’s surrounding Hardin County, says he’s been told the Gathering is probably returning to the same site, HogRock Campgrounds. “I’m hearing it’s gonna be back next year.” See you there!
This article from the Village Voice Archive was posted on September 8, 2010