Nom Wah Tea Parlor has sat on Doyers Street since 1920, surviving both DOH closures and the opening of nearby theme bars. According to Bowery Boogie, the parlor is currently undergoing a renovation that will hopefully reinvigorate it for another 90 years. It’s being overseen by Wilson Tang, who has taken over the business from his uncle Wally Tang, who ran Nom Wah for 36 years and worked there for 60. Lest the news induce any Polonia-like hand-wringing, rest assured that the younger Tang is overhauling the kitchen but otherwise leaving the place more or less the same, “except for a few upgrades with technology” — such as its Facebook page. He plans to reopen in January.
This article from the Village Voice Archive was posted on December 8, 2010