Woman Paralyzed By Hickey


These are things people need to know about! It’s scary, but we’re telling you for your own good! So, sit up and pay attention! A woman in New Zealand lost movement in her left arm, which was concerning. She went to the emergency room, where doctors found a nasty old hickey on her neck near an artery. According to Dr. Teddy Wu, “Because it was a lovebite there would be a lot of suction. Because of the physical trauma it had made a bit of bruising inside the vessel.” Also, ew: “There was a clot in the artery underneath where the hickey was.”

The clot, then, went to the woman’s heart, causing a minor stroke. Fortunately, she was treated and has regained the use of her arm, and everything else.

Wu said he thought it was the first incident of hickey-hospitalization.

If you must bite, bite softly. And carry a big stick.

Hickey Stoke? ‘Love Bite’ Paralyzes Woman [Huffington Post]
Lovebite partially paralyses woman [Stuff]

This article from the Village Voice Archive was posted on January 21, 2011


Archive Highlights