Say it ain’t so, Skippy. Can a PB&J sandwich made with this all-American brand really make you sick? Well, no illnesses have been reported yet, but jars of the stuff are still being recalled due to possible salmonella contamination. But don’t worry, peanut butter lovers. PB is popping up everywhere these days. Quell your craving for the stuff with one of these peanut-buttery snacks.
1. Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Crostini at Elsewhere (403 West 43rd Street): This smorgasbord of taste and texture comprises a chocolate cracker layered with thick peanut butter mousse and delicate, crispy Valrhona dark-chocolate pearls, then topped with brûléed banana slices. A kids’ sandwich for grown-ups.
2. Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich at the Meatball Shop (84 Stanton Street): Those in the know know that the best way to enjoy the ice cream sandwiches here is to mix and match the cookies. Peanut butter on the bottom, chocolate chip on top, and vanilla ice cream is the way to go.
3. Noodles With Peanut Butter at East Broadway Restaurant Inc. (94B East Broadway): Our intrepid Victoria Bekiempis unearthed this dish a while back. It’s essentially what you think: flat noodles with warmed, liquefied peanut butter. But a dash of black pepper and handful of chopped green onions keep it interesting.
4. Peanut Butter Bomb at Cake Shop (152 Ludlow Street): Rebecca Marx penned a mighty ode to this “fortress of calories,” which layers creamy peanut butter mousse and “unspeakably moist” chocolate cake. It brought a tear to the eye and a flush of saliva to the mouth.
5. Lamb Mafe at Africa Kine (236 West 116th Street): This rich peanut-butter stew is made with tender marinated lamb and vegetables, and served over rice. Get it for lunch for $10 on most days.