Today on Runnin’ Scared was, obviously, dedicated to news surrounding the death of Osama Bin Laden, for too long the world’s most elusive terrorist, who shook our city almost ten years ago. Since news of his demise broke late last night, we’ve covered the scene at Ground Zero on Monday morning’s early hours, fake photos of Bin Laden’s death, an updated FBI’s Most Wanted List, the conservative right’s reactions, and the unrelated death of Osama’s own obit writer. Then there’s the wackier news: a cartoon dramatization, conspiracy theories already bubbling, a man who could finally shave, the announcement at a wrestling show and the fact that another famous wrestler, The Rock, knew about the death before everyone else. Even still, we couldn’t cover it all. Below you’ll find 15 more tidbits worth reading as this historic news day comes to a close.
1. Khalid Latif, chaplain at New York University and director of its Islamic Center, said that Islamic law is “flexible” in how it handles burial, especially in this case. The question would be not “how to bury a body, but how Osama Bin Laden’s body would be buried.”
He said that the government’s approach — letting Bin Laden’s body, “wash back and forth in the sea” — was reasonable.
“If we think about burying him in the ground, there are multiple scenarios,” he said. “The problem is people don’t want him buried near them or their loved ones. Giving him a place on land would create an opportunity for many individuals to unleash and lash out their rage against him. He made lives terrible for so many of us.”
2. Porn stars react to last night’s news. Alison Tyler tweeted “Alright whoever killed Osama is getting a blow job!!”
3. Shohaib Athar live-tweeted the raid on Bin Laden without knowing it.
4. News of Bin Laden’s death set a new record for Twitter use, an average of 3,000 tweets per second.
5. Ayman al-Zawahiri is expected to replace Bin Laden as number one on the FBI’s most wanted list.
“It is unusual to celebrate a death, but today Americans and decent people the world over cheer the news that madman, murderer and terrorist Osama Bin Laden is dead … Welcome to hell, bin Laden. Let us all hope that his demise will serve notice to Islamic radicals the world over that the United States will be relentless is tracking down and terminating those who would inflict terror, mayhem and death on any of our citizens.”
7. Dick Cheney says Obama deserves the credit for killing Osama Bin Laden.
8. Rush Limbaugh says, “Thank God for President Obama.” (He later said that his praise was sarcastic.)
9. Here’s how the DNA test on Osama Bin Laden worked.
10. According to a Reuters poll, most agree with the killing of Bin Laden.
11. Here’s a collection of photos from across the globe celebrating Osama’s death. The first photo is of a sand sculpture.
12. The Vatican asks that Bin Laden’s killing not be celebrated and says Bin Laden will have to answer to God.
14. One of Bin Laden’s wives acted as a human shield. It’s not clear “whether or not Bin Laden or the son or whatever put her there or she put herself there.”
15. Bin Laden’s code name was “Geronimo.”