• The Secret Service is investigating a hack of the Fox News Twitter over the weekend that led to six tweets, including the above, claiming that President Obama had been assassinated in Iowa by an unknown shooter. Fox News writes, “Hackers sent out several malicious and false tweets claiming that President Obama had been assassinated. Those reports were incorrect, of course, and the president was spending the July 4 holiday with his family at the White House.” The Script Kiddies, thought to be responsible for the hack, have implied this is just the beginning. [NPR]
• Jurors are in their second day of deliberation in the trial of Casey Anthony, the 25-year-old Florida woman charged with killing her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee. [CNN]
• A “badly decomposed female body” was discovered at Indianapolis’ Fall Creek, which is about 60 miles north of Bloomington, Indiana, on Sunday. Authorities are investigating whether it is the body of missing Westchester County college student Lauren Spierer. (An autopsy is scheduled for today.) Update: The body is not Spierer’s. [NYP]
• Prosecutors are no longer sure there’s a crime in the case of Dominique Strauss-Kahn’s alleged sexual assault of a Sofitel maid. The D.A. has not decided whether to drop the indictment. [WSJ]
• Joe Biden is now on Twitter, at @VP. We await his 140-character sentiments with bated breath.
• A monkey stole a camera and took pictures of itself. [Telegraph]
This article from the Village Voice Archive was posted on July 5, 2011