Norwegian Police: Gunman Massacred People For Almost Two Hours Before Help Arrived


New details have emerged around yesterday’s massacre of 92 people in Norway, by alleged right-wing extremist Anders Behring Breivik. Breivik, 32, is in custody and has been charged with crimes related to terrorism. Breivik killed at least 85 people, mostly young people, at a youth camp on Utoya island about 20 miles away from Oslo, where he had just executed a bombing in the city center that killed 7 and injured about 90. According to reports, the massacre on Utoya continued for over an hour and a half before police arrived. The death toll from the twin attacks may rise to 98.

Part of a chilling first-hand account of the tragedy at Utoya, by a 23-year-old survivor (h/t @antderosa):

I stood in the main area when panic broke out. I heard shots. I saw him shoot. All started to run. The first thought was: “Why are the police shooting at us? What the hell? “I ran into a little room. People ran. Screamed. I was scared. I managed to get into one of the rooms at the back of the building. There were many of us in there. We lay on the floor all together. We heard several shots which frightened us even more. I cried. I knew nothing. I saw my best friend through the window and wondered if I should go out and bring him in. I did not. I saw fear in his eyes. We were lying on the floor inside the room for a few minutes. We agreed not to release more in case the killer came. We heard several shots and decided to jump out the window. Panic broke out among us. All in the room rushed to the window and tried to jump out. I was the last and thought: “I am the last to jump out the window. Now I’m dying. I’m sure, but it might be okay, then I know that the others are safe. “I threw my bag out the window. Tried to lower myself down but lost my grip. I landed hard on the left side of my body. A boy helped me up. We ran into the woods. I looked around. “Is he here? Shooting at me? Can he see me? “A girl had a broken ankle. Another was severely injured. I tried to help a little bit before I went down to the water. I sought cover behind a sort of brick wall. There were many of us. I prayed, prayed, prayed.

Another account from Reuters:

“I heard screams. I heard people begging for their lives and I heard shots. He just blew them away. I was certain I was going to die,” Kursetgjerde, 18, told Reuters outside a hotel in the nearby town of Sundvollen, where many survivors were taken.

“People ran everywhere. They panicked and climbed into trees. People got trampled.”

The killer, dressed as a policeman, “would tell people to come over: ‘It’s OK, you’re safe, we’re coming to help you.’ And then I saw about 20 people come toward him and he shot them at close range,” he said.

[CNN, Reuters]