As EV Grieve pointed out this morning, there is construction — or deconstruction — going on at Mars Bar, which closed Monday of last week. However, it’s not part of the official demolition of the building. We went by this afternoon and were greeted by owner Hank Penza, who seems to grow surlier with each of our visits. He told us to talk to a man standing next to him, who declined to be named, but said he “works with Hank.” That man told us they are tearing down the bar and taking the bricks out of the wall for use in the new bar, which will open in a few months somewhere yet to be determined in the neighborhood. “We’re trying to preserve as much as we can,” he said, adding that demolition of the entire building at the corner of East First Street and Second Avenue will happen in August.
This article from the Village Voice Archive was posted on July 28, 2011