Cinco De Mayo is just around the corner and that calls for some rounds of tequila and maybe a margarita or two. Here’s a round-up of five places where you can get discounted booze on the Mexican independence day.
1) $5 bar at Tortoria. Tortaria’s four Mexican-style beers on tap will all be $5 each. The selection includes: Agave Wheat, Pacifico, Negra Modelo, and Dos Equis. Other $5 selections are their house margaritas, frozen margaritas, shots of house tequila, red sangria, and an order of made-to-order guacamole, with a side of chips or corn tortillas.
2) Virgil’s is also offering $5 tequila shots, $5 frozen margaritas and $5 frozen mango margaritas.
3) From 11 am to 2 am, MexiQ Kitchen & Draught will offer Dos Equis XX beer at the happy hour price – $3 – and host live music.
4) There will be an all night happy hour at Pampano from 5pm with $6 margaritas & cocktails, and $4 cervezas. In the dining room proper a five course Cinco de Mayo menu will be offered for $50 per guest, or $75 with cocktail/wine pairings.
5) The Mex Fest at South Street Seaport from 12pm-7pm will feature dozens of food trucks that will be serving up Mexican-inspired dishes. Trucks scheduled to attend are Luke’s Lobster, Treats Truck, Kimchi Taco, Coolhaus, Frites’n’Meats, Gorilla Cheese, Schnitzel & Things, Wafels & Dinges, Taim Mobile, Milk Truck, Kelvin Slush, Souvlaki GR, Mexico Blvd, Eddie’s Pizza, and Big D’s Grub Truck. A voucher for $8 gets you one beer, one margarita, one michelada, one sombrero or one sangria.
This article from the Village Voice Archive was posted on May 4, 2012