Culinary salon and supper club City Grit continues this week with dinners by chef Sarah Simmons.
But for those who can’t make it, she has shared with us her recipe for brown butter financiers.
1/2 cup butter, unsalted
1 1/3 cup confectioner’s sugar
1/2 cup almond flour
1/3 cup cake flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 large egg whites
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Brown butter in pan until fragrant; pour butter through a fine-mesh strainer into
a medium mixing bowl.
3. Sift confectioner’s sugar, almond flour, and salt into the bowl of a stand mixer.
4. Using the whisk attachment, whisk in the egg whites on low speed until just
5. Turn the speed up one notch and whisk in the brown butter, beating until smooth,
about one minute.
5. Pour into greased molds (use canele molds).