Data Entry Services
Mexican-food chain Rosa Mexicano shares its recipe for San Felipe shrimp tacos: grilled Mexican white shrimp with a salsa of mango, pineapple, papaya, and red chile topped with chipotle crema.
The recipe comes from Rosa Mexicano’s culinary advisor, Jonathan Waxman (of NYC’s Barbuto and Top Chef Masters).
San Felipe Tacos
For the cabbage:
– One jalapeno, seeded and cut into thin strips
– 2 cups red cabbage, sliced finely
– 1⁄2 cup shredded carrots
– 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
– 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
– 2 tablespoons kosher salt
– 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Allow to sit for at least one hour before serving.
For the marinade:
– 1 cup olive oil
– 1⁄2 cup lime juice, fresh squeezed
– 1 cup orange juice
– 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
– 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
Mix together oil, lime and orange juices, and herbs. Cover and reserve until ready to use.
For the salsa:
– 1⁄2 cup ripe pineapple, diced small
– 1⁄2 cup fresh ripe mange, diced small
– 1⁄2 cup fresh ripe papaya, diced small
– 1⁄4 cup fresh-squeezed lime juice
– 1⁄2 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
– Two each Chile de arbol, toasted and crushed
– 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
– Kosher salt to taste
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and season to taste. Allow to sit for at least 30
minutes until ready to use.
For the chipotle crema:
– 1 cup crème fraiche
– 2 tablespoons chipotle in adobo, pureed in the food processor
– Mix together the crème fraiche and the chipotle puree. Reserve cold until ready to use.
For the tacos:
– 12 wild U‐12 shrimp, peeled and de-veined
– The marinade
– The salsa
– The cabbage
– Banana leaf
– Chipotle crema
– Watercress leaves
– Radish, cut into julienne
– Lime juice
– 12 corn tortillas
– 12 wooden skewers, six inches long
1) Soak the skewers in water for a while, so they won’t burn when grilled.
2) Skewer the shrimp through the head to the tail so they stay straight when cooking.
3) Put the shrimp in the marinade for about 10 minutes.
4) Once marinated, season with salt and grill for about two to three minutes on the first side and then about two minutes on the second side.
5) Heat the tortillas in a dry sauté pan until they soften up. Lay them out on plates or on a platter if serving family style.
6) In a bowl, toss the watercress leaves with the radish julienne and a little lime juice and salt.
7) Spread the salad over the tortillas. Take 1 tablespoon of the cabbage and put on each tortilla.
8) Top the cabbage with the shrimp. Top each shrimp with about 1 tablespoon of the salsa. Top with the chipotle crema, but just a little drizzle.