Data Entry Services
Rosh Hashanah is coming up on Sunday and to celebrate, we have a Jewish holiday dessert from Chef Marc Taxiera off the Russian Tea Room’s holiday menu. It’s an apple strudel recipe made from Granny Smith apples, rum, raisins, and phyllo dough.
Executive Chef Marc Taxiera
– 1/4 cup rum
– 1/2 cup raisins
– 2 to 3 Granny Smith apples (about 1 pound), peeled, cored, halved, and diced
– 1/2 lemon, juiced
– 1 tablespoon lemon zest, finely chopped
– 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more for sprinkling
– 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
– 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
– 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
– 5 sheets phyllo dough from 1 pound package of frozen dough (most grocery store have in frozen section)
– 2 tablespoons butter, melted, for brushing phyllo sheets, plus more if needed
– 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
– Confectioners’ sugar
– Caramel Sauce (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a small pot, bring the rum and raisins to a boil. Turn off and let sit for 15 minutes.
3. In a small sauté pan place the apples, lemon zest, cinnamon, sugar, butter, raisons, walnuts, and lemon juice and sauté for about a two minutes till sugar is dissolved. Let cool.
4. Remove the phyllo dough from the box, unfold, and cover with a damp towel. Place one sheet of phyllo on the work surface and brush lightly with melted butter. Repeat with the remaining sheets, brushing each with melted butter, stacking when done, being sure to keep the unbuttered phyllo covered.