With football season underway, Jets and Giants fans don’t agree on much. From the sidelines, however, chef Aaron Sanchez, of Food Network’s Heat Seekers and Chopped, has created two tasty tailgate dishes for Gang Green and G-Men devotees to devour, regardless of touchdowns or team turmoil. Jets fans can use a green bag of popships, Giants fans the blue.
For the Jets Fan: Ceviche with green-bag chili limón tortilla popchips and Bud Light
– 1 pound fresh halibut filets (or any firm-fleshed white fish), diced into 1/2-inch cubes
– 1 cup fresh lime juice (approximately 8 to 10 limes)
– 1 fresh red Serrano chili, seeds discarded, chili thinly sliced teaspoon salt
– 1 small mango, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
– 1 scallion, white and green parts thinly sliced tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
– 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1. In a medium-sized glass bowl, combine the fish with the lime juice, Serrano and salt. Cover and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours. The fish cubes will “cook” in the limejuice until they are opaque.
2. Half an hour before serving, stir the mango, scallion, cilantro and olive oil into the ceviche. Cover and refrigerate 20 minutes to let the flavors meld. Serve with chili limón tortilla popchips for scooping up the ceviche.
Giants fans, scroll down.
For the Giants Fan: Crab Dip with blue-bag ranch tortilla popchips and Stella
– 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
– 1 cup mayonnaise
– 1/4 cup buttermilk
– Juice of 1 lime
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1 jalapeno, finely minced
– 1 pound lump crab meat, picked over, any shells discarded
– 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
– 1 scallion, white and green parts thinly sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 1-quart baking dish.
2. In a mixing bowl, blend the cream cheese and mayonnaise with an electric mixer on medium speed. Blend in the buttermilk, lime juice and salt until the mixture is smooth.
3. Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, gently fold in the crabmeat. Turn the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes, until the mixture is golden and bubbling.
4. Sprinkle with the cilantro and scallion and serve warm with ranch tortilla popchips to scoop up the dip.