Chef Julio Genao is the executive chef at Casa Nonna, an upscale Italian eatery in midtown. Although he’s typically whipping up Italian specialties, he does have a couple of seasonal ones up his sleeves.
Pumpkin is all the rage today, and Genao has tapped into that with a pumpkin-pancake recipe with maple butter and walnuts. Full recipe after the jump.
Pumpkin Pancakes With Walnuts and Maple Butter
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
– Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
– Whisk egg, pumpkin, and butter into buttermilk.
– Pour the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and whisk until lumps are gone.
– Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and coat with cooking spray.
– Pour 1/4 cup of batter onto the skillet, and cook until bubbles appear on the surface.
– Flip with a spatula, and cook until browned on the other side.