Update 6 (6:46 p.m.): As we’ve reported, multiple media outlets have identified 20-year-old Adam Lanza as the suspected gunman. Earlier reports indicated that his brother Ryan Lanza, who’s currently being questioned by police, was the shooter. Reports indicate that police do not believe Ryan was involved in the crime at this time.
The suspected gunman’s mother, who is believed to have taught kindergarten at Sandy Hook Elementary, may have been killed at her home, according to ABC News. These details have not yet been confirmed. We reported earlier that the mother was killed in a school classroom.
Lt. Paul Vance of the Connecticut State Police didn’t confirm many details in his latest news conference, but did indicate that police believe the shootings took place in one section of the school in two different rooms.
Update 5 (6:30 p.m.): The suspect has been identified as Adam Lanza, the New York Times reports.
Update 4: Authorities have not positively identified the shooter, according to Lt. Paul Vance of the Connecticut State Police.
The number of children deceased is now believed to be at 20 — with seven adults including the shooter dead, according to Vance.
Update 3: There now appears to be conflicting reports about the exact identity of the shooter.
The alleged shooter has been identified as Ryan Lanza, a 24-year-old resident of Hoboken, N.J., according to multiple sources.
The mother of the gunman is a kindergarten teacher at Sandy Hook Elementary, and is believed to among the victims killed in the shooting, according to WABC-TV.
Update: The shooter has been confirmed dead inside the school by Lt. Paul Vance of the Connecticut State Police.
Vance said that the public is no longer in danger, and the scene is secure. No updates will be given on the number of fatalities or the identity of those killed in the shooting until the families of the victims are notified.
He did not confirm whether there was a second shooter. The deceased gunman is believed to be a 20-year-old male and resident of Conn. with ties to the school, according to WABC-TV. The report indicates that he was seen wearing all-black, a bullet-proof vest while carrying two – four weapons — including a .223 caliber rifle.
At least 18 young children are dead after a shooting spree inside of Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut.
At 9:41 a.m., authorities were alerted of gunshots When they arrived on the scene, they were alerted of at least one shooter opening fire on students and staff. Just moments ago, the Associated Press reported that at least 27 people, including 18 children, are dead.
There are conflicting reports as to how many shooters there were. According to ABC News, one gunman is dead, though the other is still at-large. NBC News Connecticut however, has only reported on a single gunman. Two 9mm handguns were recovered by authorities at the scene.
There’s no word yet from authorities as to how a gunman was able to enter the school, and no final count on how many people were injured or killed. Once SWAT and police arrived, Sandy Hook students were escorted to a nearby fire station. NBC News says the entire school district has been shut down.
More updates as they come.
This article from the Village Voice Archive was posted on December 14, 2012