Shawn Peace Convicted of Shooting Cabbie and Robbing Fast Food Joints in Queens


In December 2010, the New York City Police Department released footage of a man pulling a gun on a livery cab driver in Queens. It was a one minute video showing a young man in a white hoodie sitting in the front passenger seat of the cab. Fifteen seconds into the video, the man appears to argue with the driver. Then it looks like he and the driver get into a scuffle. The footage cuts off right as the man points a gun at the driver.

The cabbie, 53-year-old Trevor Bell, took four bullets to the neck and legs. He survived.

A month after releasing the footage, police arrested 25-year-old Shawn Peace for the shooting. The department stated that Peace may have been tied to more than a dozen armed robberies in Queens and Long Island, including one that left a restaurant employee injured from a gunshot.

On Thursday, a Queens Supreme Court jury convicted Peace for the shootings and for five robberies. Jurors found him guilty on counts including second-degree attempted murder, first-degree assault, first-degree robbery and second-degree criminal possession of a weapon.

“The defendant stands convicted of committing a series of serious
felonies,” Queens District Attorney Richard Brown said in a statement. “He has proven himself to be a menace to others and deserves the maximum sentence allowed by law.”

Bell picked up Peace after he requested a ride at the Big D’s Royal Cab Service office in Jamaica on December 3, 2010. Bell took him to an address on a dead end street in South Ozone Park. That’s when Peace held him up then shot him.

According to prosecutors, Bell “still suffers from the effects of two strokes that
occurred when the bullet was removed from his neck/head.”

The shooting came at the tail end of a six-months-long robbery spree targeting fast food joins in Queens.

The first of the five robberies Peace was convicted for happened at a McDonald’s on July, 15, 2010. The following month he hit a Wendy’s. Days later, a Popeye’s Fried Chicken employee got shot in the hand while trying to stop Peace during a stick-up. In November, Peace robbed a Burger King and another McDonald’s.

Peace, who resided in Charlotte, North Carolina but previously lived in Jamaica, Queens, faces up to 25 years in prison. His sentencing hearing is scheduled for March 26.