The Village Voice has an opening for a full-time editor to manage our food section. The food editor works with the editor-in-chief to set the tone of the Voice‘s coverage, then carries out that vision by recruiting and managing freelance writers, assigning and editing stories, writing daily online food coverage, and directing special projects.
• understand the breadth and depth of the New York City restaurant industry and be eager to learn more about what’s happening in food and drink in all five boroughs
• have an insatiable appetite for good food- and drink-related stories and a news writer’s instincts for uncovering and sourcing those stories
• be able to manage a team of contributors and add talented writers to that team
• edit stories quickly and accurately
• write timely, well-reported, and thought-provoking stories
• be comfortable with writing and editing long- and short-form stories and capsule reviews and descriptions
• have a strong background in social media and adapt easily to the fast-paced world of online journalism
• arrive equipped with a vision for the Village Voice food section
If this is you, email a résumé, cover letter, food-related clips, and five ideas for improving the Voice‘s food coverage to Editorial-Dept@villagevoice.com. (No phone calls, please.) We offer a competitive salary with benefits.