Police Arrest Man for Raping a Woman at Knifepoint in Bushwick


On Wednesday, police arrested a convicted sex offender who is accused of raping a woman at knifepoint in Bushwick on Tuesday night.

The 27-year-old victim was walking home from the J train station at Kosciuszko Street at around 2:30 a.m. on August 16, when the suspect, 52-year-old Michael Mann, approached her near the intersection of Dekalb Avenue and Bushwick Avenue. Police say he grabbed her by the neck, pulled out a knife, and reportedly said, “I will stick you.” He robbed her, raped her, then fled.

Police sources told the Daily News that Mann raped the victim, returned her phone and cash, and warned her, “I have seen you around before,” before threatening to kill her if she called the cops.

The victim called the police after the attack, and was taken to Wyckoff Hospital. She described the suspect as in his mid-forties, wearing blue jeans, red sneakers, and a dark shirt.

The next day, the rape suspect reportedly called 911 from a pay phone, and when officers from the 83rd Precinct arrived on the scene, they noticed he fit the description provided by the victim — including the red sneakers. Mann, who had served seventeen years in prison for rape, then asked the cops for a ride.

“At some point, he turns around and says to them, ‘Hey, would you guys mind giving me a ride? I don’t have carfare,’ ” said Deputy Inspector Maximo Tolentino, the precinct’s commanding officer. After police asked the suspect if he had anything that could harm them, he pulled a knife out of his pocket.

Within the last year, the number of rapes citywide has gone up by more than 5 percent compared with 2015, according to NYPD statistics. The number of incidents of rape in the Brooklyn North area has also risen to 21 percent so far this year, compared with 16 percent last year.

Mann faces a number of charges, including rape, robbery, criminal possession of a weapon, and sex abuse, in addition to charges related to his status as a Level 3 sex offender, such as his failure to report a change of address within ten days and failing to appear for address-verification appointments. He will be arraigned in Brooklyn criminal court on Thursday.