Two new or rebuilt interborough bridges have opened in New York City since last summer, each connecting to the Bronx. The High Bridge, a promenade lifted high over the Harlem River by a single-arch span, was first completed in 1848 and is the city’s oldest bridge. Until June 2015, its footpath had been shuttered for more than forty years, condemning New Yorkers traveling between Washington Heights and the Bronx to the heavily trafficked Washington Bridge, north of the Cross Bronx Expressway. The reopened pathway, unfurling from the foot of the Rapunzelesque High Bridge Water Tower, knits together two neighborhoods with one of New York’s great new walks. Farther south, the Randalls Island Connector, which opened in June of this year, provides access to the East River island park across the Bronx Kill. Beneath the pillars of the Amtrak viaduct, an asphalt path lined with chokeberries and heliopsis whisks you in minutes from the heavy industry and New York Post printing plant of Port Morris to the fields of Randalls Island and a riverbank alive with swallows, blackbirds, herons, egrets, muskrats, and horseshoe crabs.
The High Bridge is open daily from 7 a.m.–8 p.m.
Randalls Island is open daily from 5 a.m.–midnight