Yesterday’s news in Iraq:
• October 21: “The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom. Spc. Justin A. Saint, 22, of Albertville, Ala., died Oct. 15 in Baghdad, Iraq, of injuries sustained in a non-combat related incident. He was assigned to the Special Troops Battalion, XVIII Airborne Corps, Fort Bragg, N.C. The incident is under investigation.” (DOD)
• October 21: “The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom. Spc. Heath K. Pickard, 21, of Palestine, Texas, died Oct. 16 in Balad, Iraq, of wounds suffered when he received indirect fire in Baquaba, Iraq. He was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 5th Infantry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division, Fort Wainwright, Alaska.” (DOD)
• October 21: “In a bid to alleviate the suffering of internally displaced persons (IDPs) living in tent camps, the local authorities have built a makeshift camp in western Baghdad to house 150 families in wooden caravans.” (IRIN)
• Iraq Body Count: “Tuesday 21 October: 26 Dead”
Baghdad: 1 body found.
Jurf al-Sakhr: 15 killed in attack on two tribes.
Shirqat: Gunmen kill oil refinery director.
Diyala: 5 in minibus killed by US forces.
Mandili: car bomb kills 3.
Mosul: 1 body found. (Iraq Body Count)
• “FACTBOX: Security Developments in Iraq, Oct 21
“Following are security developments in Iraq at 1600 GMT on Tuesday.”
• BAGHDAD – A salvo of seven mortars struck Saidiya neighbourhood of southern Baghdad, wounding five people, police said.
• BAGHDAD – One dead body was discovered in Baghdad, police said.
• MOSUL – Police said they found one unidentified dead body with gunshot wounds to the head and chest in the northern city of Mosul.
• BAGHDAD – Iraqi army troops found a large cache of weapons, ammunition and explosives in an industrial area of Sadr City in eastern Baghdad, said Qassim Moussawi, government spokesman for security in the capital.
• LATIFIYA – Nine decomposed bodies were found on Monday in Latifiya, 40 km (25 miles) south of Baghdad, police said. The victims had been buried for more than a year.
• BAGHDAD – A roadside bomb near an army checkpoint wounded one Iraqi soldier and three electricity workers in Palestine street in northeastern Baghdad, police said. (JAVNO — Croatia)
• DOD Casualty Report:
U.S. military casualties during combat operations (March 19, 2003 to April 30, 2003): 139
U.S. military casualties “post combat ops” (May 1, 2003 to present): 4,038 (DOD Casualty Report)