Bringing It All Back Home

Buford Furrow's Journey of Hate to L.A.

The Star's Gingrich bombshell came in the form of a story by Richard Gooding (who broke the Gennifer Flowers story) with a photo of the jowly, potbellied Gingrich strolling hand-in-hand with Callista Bisek, a 33-year-old House Agriculture Committee staffer who sings in the National Shrine Choir. The news surfaced as Gingrich and his second wife, Marianne, were negotiating the details of a divorce after their marriage reached an impasse following last fall's elections.

The affair, according to Gooding, has been going on for quite some time. The couple supposedly would meet at the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington, where Gingrich would read the Bible as he listened to Callista sing. Or he would squire her out into the Virginia countryside for a meal at the L'Auberge Chez François restaurant.

It all spurred a new spate of rumors about just why Gingrich quit the Speakership so suddenly in late '98. At the time, his resignation was depicted as the step of a principled leader who had failed his party and who was stepping aside to let fresh blood in. The fresh blood unfortunately turned out to be Bob Livingston, who abruptly quit in disgrace on the day the House voted to impeach Clinton when his own long-term affair was about to be exposed by Larry Flynt. Callista has been named in court papers in Newt's divorce case, and Matt Drudge reports there are secret tape recordings of their phone conversations. On Monday, there were reports that Marianne Gingrich's lawyer, John Mayoue, might question Bisek on videotape about the relationship and whether she and Gingrich had had physical relations in his congressional office while he was Speaker.

The Enquirer's piece touted Hillary's "two big affairs while married to Bill"— the first supposedly with Vince Foster. Then, the Enquirer reported, "Hillary turned to [an unnamed] longtime friend and began another on-again, off-again affair. As the relationship heated up, they even had a secret rendezvous at a California hotel. The friendship continues to this day. . . . The physical part is infrequent, but the emotional connection is intense and ongoing."

And the beat goes on.

Rotten at the Corps

After racists ripped up a mattress, stole their boots, and scribbled epithets on their lockers, a group of African American kids from Washington, D.C., who belong to an organization called Young Marines, were badly shaken. The youths, ages eight to 18, had gone to Camp Lejeune in North Carolina last month for an outing intended to familiarize them with military life. Instead, their family photos were torn up, their money and uniforms were stolen, and someone urinated on their gear. Leonard McFerson, who commands the unit, said he was appalled that such racism had taken place at a military base. "I will never go back," McFerson told The Washington Post.

"I try to get [the kids] out of the city and show them something different, and if that's what they're going to see, I might as well let them run around the street and be gang members."

Additional reporting: Kristen Nelson

« Previous Page