Best of NYC®
Smile, NYC! Now put your chin down, tilt your good side forward, gaze up seductively, and reach out....The time has come to hold the metaphorical camera up in front of ourselves and capture the best of what this place has to offer.
With selfies, we try to show our beauty, our love for adventure, our penchant for the weird, our sense of humor, and our unique cultural touchstones. These are our personalities, reflected outwards.
So, what would a selfie of NYC show? We've attempted to answer that with the more than 350 beautiful, thrilling, strange, delicious, and funny entrants that our 2014 Best of NYC issue comprises.
Our own selfies take in the city's "Best Cocktail Bar," "Best New Restaurant," and "Best Live Music Venue." They showcase things we're famous for, like the "Best Black and White Cookie," "Best Museum," and "Best Yankee." (You'll never guess who.)
They capture our adventurous side, from "Best Event for Cyclists" to "Best Escape in New York" to "Best Day Trip" and "Best Reason to Eat Out in the Bronx."
They divulge our innermost secrets, gems like "Best Underground History Lesson" and "Best Lingerie." (Of course, the goodies you purchase at the latter are probably best hand-washed, as opposed to toted to our choice for "Best Place to Drink and Do Laundry.")
They even turn the selfie back on ourself, with "Best Photo Booth."
As always, our picks are completely subjective. Keeping in mind that any look at our city reflects all of us who live in it, we asked you to share some of your favorites with us via our Readers' Poll, the results of which you'll find alongside our takes.
Finally, speaking of selfie-centered: Throughout this issue you'll see a selection of photos from readers who responded to our Twitter call for #BONYC selfie submissions.
Y'all are the best!
Contributors: David R. Adler, R.C. Baker, Nikkitha Bakshani, Heather Baysa, Sam Blum, Jack Buehrer, Katie Calautti, Jon Campbell, Araceli Cruz, Jessica Dawson, Zachary Feldman, Tom Finkel, Caryn Ganeles, Karen Gardiner, Beca Grimm, Bradley Hawks, Hilary Hughes, Kim Kelly, Kevin Kessler, Danny King, Jennifer Krasinski, Sowmya Krishnamurthy, Linda Leseman, Scarlett Lindeman, Nick Lucchesi, Billy Lyons, Tara Mahadevan, Gili Malinsky, Brian McManus, Anna Merlan, Phillip Mlynar, Lauren Mowery, Billy Nauman, Lucy Nieboer, Adam Robb, Albert Samaha, Alan Scherstuhl, Nicole Schnitzler, Alanna Schubach, Tom Sellar, Laura Shunk, Brittany Spanos, Tessa Stuart, Katie Toth, Eve Turow, Christian Viveros-Fauné, Stephanie Zacharek
Copy editing: Mike Laws
Fact-checking and proofreading: Talia Briant, Annabel Finkel, Rachell Mosquera, Alex Padalka, Nathalie Spidle, Leah Strahs
Design: Tom Carlson
Cover and inside illustrations: Scott Anderson
Find more Best of NYC® winners:
- Best Vintage Clothing StoreRabbits
- Best Used-Clothing StoreBeacon's Closet
- Best Clothing Store for KidsMakié
- Best Clothing Store for WomenBOC New York
- Best Clothing Store for MenOnassis
- Best Tattoo ShopWooster Street Social Club
- Best Skateboard ShopShut Skates
- Best Sporting Goods StoreParagon Sports
How to Spend a Very, Very Long Day, According to the Village Voice's 2014 Best of NYC® Readers' Poll: Start your morning with a coffee from one of Blue Bottle's five locations (voted Best Coffeeshop for Coffee), because you're probably going to need the jolt of caffeine for the insane...more
- Ten Nineties Earworms That Just Get Better With Age
- Twenty Songs That Will Convert You to Country
- Where to Find Five Great Lobster Dishes in NYC
- The Ten Best Restaurants in Brighton Beach and Sheepshead Bay
- A Pre-Gov Ball Lesson in the Do's and Don'ts of Festival Fashion
- Ten Surprising & Strange Tributes to Billy Joel
- Discover the 11 Best Patios in NYC, 2015
- The Eleven Best Breakfasts in NYC, 2015
- Ten Great Restaurants You Can Still Book for Mother's Day Brunch
- The 10 Best Margaritas in NYC, 2015 Edition
- The Eleven Best Restaurants for Munchies in NYC, 2015
- The Ten Best Dishes at Barclays Center
- The 10 Best Lamb Dishes in New York City
- The 10 Best Bites at Yankee Stadium and Citi Field, 2015