Soul Daddy, the winning concept of America’s Next Great Restaurant, has shuttered its third and final location, in Minnesota’s Mall of America (the New York City location closed a few weeks ago). According to the company, “The restaurant simply was not performing as we had hoped.” More like America’s Next Great Flop, and especially unfortunate for owner Jamawn Woods, who had planned to move to Minnesota. And his fast-food concept isn’t the only one in trouble. Denny’s currently ranks as the riskiest company in the business.
The Street ranked the Z-Score of the country’s main fast-food chains, looking for markers that could determine potential bankruptcy in the future. The full list:
14. Red Robin
12. Ruby Tuesday
11. Carrols Restaurant Group (Pollo Tropical, Taco Cabana)
10. Einstein Noah Restaurant Group
9. O’Charley’s (its namesake as well as Ninety Nine Restaurant and Stoney River Legendary Steaks)
8. Ruth’s Hospitality Group (Ruth’s Chris Steak House, Mitchell’s Fish Market)
7. McCormick & Schmick’s
6. Bravo Brio Restaurant Group (BRAVO! Cucina Italiana and BRIO Tuscan Grille)
5. Domino’s Pizza
4. DineEquity (IHOP, Applebee’s)
3. Morton’s Restaurant Group
Poor Denny’s. Seems like even the zeitgeisty Maple Bacon Sundae couldn’t help the chain get with the times.
Have a tip or restaurant-related news? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
And follow us on Twitter: @ForkintheRoadVV.