38. 1984: Linda Montano and Tehching Hsieh cut the eight-foot rope that has tied them together at the waist for a full year; during that time, they had never touched each other.
39. 1984: To illustrate "the obsolescence of the body," Stelarc suspends himself over East 11th Street by 18 fish hooks stuck through his skin.
40. 1984: Holly Hughes puts lesbian desire onstage in her first dyke noir play, The Well of Horniness.
41. 1986: Karen Finley's scabrous and hilarious monologues like I'm an Ass Man are obscenity in its purest formnever just a litany of four-letter expletives but an attempt to express emotions for which there are no words.
42. 1986: James Luna (Luiseño/Diegueño) displays himself as a relic at the Museum of Mannear the Indian exhibits.
43. 1986: Adrian Piper, an African American artist sometimes mistaken for white, makes calling cards that read: "Dear Friend, I am black. I am sure you did not realize this when you made/laughed at/agreed with that racist remark..."
46. 1989: Annie Sprinkle inserts a speculum onstage and invites spectators to look at her cervix.
47. 1990: Mexican, Chicano, and Anglo artists from the Border Arts Workshop / Taller de Arte Fronterizo travel from the Gulf to the Pacific in a bus, "suturing the border wound" by planting steel staples with one prong in Mexico, one in the U.S.
48. 1990: Robbie McCauley travels the country to turn remembrances of racial trouble (busing in Boston, voting rights in Mississippi, rioting in Buffalo) into "performance dialogues" between local black and white actors.