For most city dwellers, the perfect pajamas are just those that keep you warm when your radiator shuts off and don’t cook you when it blazes back on. Greater considerations fall by the wayside, like whether your sleepwear fits well, is cut from a soft cotton blend, and comes in a flattering print. Time to raise those standards. The following pajama sets are a good start, guaranteed to help ease you through another one of our “idyllic” New York winters. Now if you only had that roaring fireplace…
1. Start the kids out on silk crepe early. Pearl River Mart‘s embroidered Chinese pajamas come in red, white, light blue, and beige for $19.50 a pair. Ideal for kids ages one to six, available at the store and through the website.
2. Though they’re pricey at $70 a pair, few regret buying those Brooks Brothers men’s cotton pajamas with a drawstring waist and notch-collar top. We suppose there’s a reason they call it a classic. In white or blue, oxford or broadcloth. S to XL.
3. Petit Bateau‘s baby-soft cotton pajamas are not only for those age 2 to 5. Check out the women’s “loungewear”: 100 percent cotton long-sleeve v-neck top and a pull-up pant, both with a ruffle finish. Originally $73, now reduced 40 percent. In pink or red. XS to L.
4. More lounge knits than matched pajama sets, American Apparel sweats are nevertheless ideal for all-winter hibernation. We suggest the unisex, lightweight Baby Thermal Long Sleeve in a cotton/polyender blend, paired with the Calfornia Fleece Pant (for women) and the California Fleece Slim Pant, which is available in men and women’s sizes but looks more flattering on dudes.
5. Pajamas in a classic men’s cut look even cuter on women, we think. They’re also a refreshing alternative to those corny heart-print pajama sets that seem to always creep up near Valentine’s Day. The Lauren by Ralph Lauren cotton poplin PJ set in plain white or royal blue, $68, is currently available at Bloomingdale’s uptown.